FIRST STEAMWORKS, the 2017 FIRST Robotics Competition game, invites two adventure clubs from an era in which technology relied on steam power to prepare their airships for the ultimate long distance race. FIRST® , the FIRST® logo, FIRST® Robotics Competition, FIRST® Tech Challenge, FIRST STEAMWORKS,SM Coopertition® , Gracious Professionalism,® and Sport for the MindTM are trademarks of For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology (FIRST®). LEGO® and MINDSTORMS® are registered trademarks of the LEGO Group. FIRST® LEGO® League and FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. are jointly held trademarks of FIRST and the LEGO Group. ©2016 FIRST. All rights reserved. FR021 FIRST ® Robotics Competition 2017 Game.
Each three-team alliance prepares to take flight in three ways:
1. Build Steam Pressure. Robots collect fuel represented by green balls. They score it in high and low goals in their boiler. As fuel is scored steam pressure in the tank on the alliance’s airship builds – the high goal builds pressure faster than the low goal.
2. Start Rotors. Robots retrieve and deliver gears to pilots on their airship who then install them on the appropriate rotor. Once a gear train is complete the rotor can be started.
3. Prepare for Flight. Adventure clubs want their robots to climb aboard their airships so they can assist the pilots during the race.
- 1st place alliance at St Louis Regional
- Innovation in Control Award at St Louis Regional
- 4th ranked team at Rocket City Regional
- Industrial Design Award at Rocket City Regional